The East Yorkshire Business Expo took place just outside Hull on 4 October. It was Make Your Marque’s first outing as an exhibitor and resulted from an invitation to perform as the motivational speaker at the Exhibitors’ Networking Event, held at the Superbowl UK Hull.
Everyone communicates – few connect
In excess of 80 businesses were booked to exhibit and I delivered a talk and workshop aimed at up-levelling their connecting skills to ensure they left the best impression with visitors. The organisers wished to maintain a fun, light-hearted and laid-back feel for this, their 10th Anniversary Expo, to encourage guests to relate to each other on a social, rather than sales, level. In keeping with their objectives – reflected in the venue and pre-lunch 10-pin bowling tournament – I devised a game of Connection Bingo to accompany my talk (proved entertaining on several levels, one or two unforeseen!).
“And for my next trick…!”
For the second half of my 90 minute spot (extended from 45 minutes as we were running ahead of time), I facilitated a round of The John Maxwell Team Leadership Game. The versatility of this leadership-and-team-building assessment tool meant that I could prepare it in advance for a generic group of individuals who don’t work together and in the main, don’t know each other.
The lounge area of the Superbowl lent itself perfectly to splitting the audience up into small teams of 4-6, the gameplay facilitating conversations on personal development and the role of ethics and values in business and the workplace. Thanks to some very good sports who were brave enough to take the mic, we were challenged and entertained by some interesting debates.
I’d not planned to exhibit so soon, but the invitation from event promoters, Dalton Spire, with just 3 weeks to go, was an opportunity I couldn’t turn down. I am grateful to the following for helping me to pull everything together in time and on budget:
- Sales & Business Development Supremo, Gavin Boden, for his introduction to Andy Dearman of Displaypak and most of all his generosity in “paying it forward”, resulting in my pop-up display system.
- Tony King of TK Custom Products, Hull
- Carl, Sally and team at Scribes Digital Print
- Michelle Pindar (pictured), of Body Beautiful, for the loan of the wig blocks on which to display a few of the Many Hats of Make Your Marque.
Congrats to the winners of my Business Card Draw:
- Tim Hussey, Business Specialist, HSBC UK (Hessle Branch)
- Mike Baker, Senior Business & Investment Advisor, BE Group (Seaham)
- Melanie Lewis, Business Development, Redfish (Beverley)